Okay, so I weighed myself before we went out of town and I lost 1.5 more pounds! I'm so excited!
But you know what's funny is this: the night before I was supposed to weigh in, I noticed myself starting to feel stressed and easily irritable. The whole week, I had been feeling good, but that night I was tempted to have a snack that was less than desireable. As the evening wore on, I realized that I was feeling worried about what the scale would say and what that would tell me about my efforts thus far. Was I doing enough? Would I have to diet harder? Was I just fooling myself that I was making progress? Man, why are we so hard on ourselves? Even when I saw that I had lost the next morning, I was thinking, ONLY 1.5 pounds? So for all of you being too hard on yourselves, this is our moment to just step back and realize that every step, every morning we get up and work out, every .5 of a pound is worth acknowledging and being grateful for. We are powerful, super women!
And don't forget to notice that the times when we are weakest and most vulnerable are the times that the doubtful, irritating voice of the adversary sneaks in. It's not when you're doing great and feeling amazing. It's when you're just not sure, you're tired or overworked. That's when he kicks in. Just remember that. We are more powerful than we know or he wouldn't even be bothering with us!
We got home from a trip to the sand dunes (I did pretty good, I must say. Only one serving of dessert, and lots of fruits and veggies to go with a few pizza rolls) and I did sleep in this morning and skip my workouts. But a great support has been my friend Marilene calling me each day. In fact I kind of forgot she would be calling me tonight, and after talking to her, I knew I didn't want to just be making excuses. She also helped me, along with a little call to my friend Heather, on Thursday when I was started to feel worried. Just hearing their voices and their upbeat attitudes jolted me out of my fears long enough to realize what I was doing.
I also learned that there are a variety of people out there. There are those who will say you can't eat healthy on vacation, some who will try but make all kinds of excuses while they are eating pizza rolls, and others who will pass on the candy and just quietly do what they set their minds to do. It's interesting, and enlightening to share the planet with all kinds. When it comes down to it, I am the one responsible for what goes in my mouth and the philosophy I recite in my head. So here we go in week 2. Check out my quotes, and send me your faves that can apply to weight loss or just healthy happy living.
6 comments:
You are on your way! Congrats! Keep up the good work!
keep it up christene! 1.5 pounds is great! you don't want to lose more quickly than that or it won't stay off. you can do this. you are strong!
Accountability!!! I blame my extra, unwanted pounds on nursing the baby HA HA!!! But ultimately when we hold ourselves accountable, only then can we change...I keep telling myself that...one day actions will follow!!! Good for you...it is not just a daily commitment, but hourly. Keep plugging at it.
You're doing wonderful!! I am so proud of you. You are such a special spirit and I hope you will always call when you need that extra help. Love Ya!
Thank YOU for the inspiration!
You know I love Marilene too! Who wouldn't! Well maybe I am a little bias but still who wouldn't! (for those of you reading this that don't know Marilene is my sister in law. That is if Chris is talking about the same Marilene but I don't know any other girl named such so I would think it was the same.) By the way I love the thought about there being different people in the world and you are right. Ultimately it comes down to you and what you know to be best for your body. It's like parenting advice, you should only take the advice that feels right for your family but in this case you should only do what you feel is right for your body. So here is my piece of advice for today. Take it how you want. There was this girl on iVillage Live awhile ago and they were asking her how she stayed in shape with her busy schedule. She said the one thing that has helped her to put everything into perspective was that you will have days that you know are going to be difficult eating days. So you plan for the next two or three days following to do a harder work out. I love this idea. I know for instance that special occasions come up and you eat out but then the following days I know I can balance it by working harder. I told a friend this and she said that it sounded to her like playing catch up so think what you like but it seems reasonable to me. Besides sometimes you have to break down and have something you really love, you just don't have to have the something thirty times a month!
Post a Comment