Monday, February 11, 2008

This is why I go to Church!

Sometime Saturday night, I started feeling doubtful of my ability. Maybe this was really a "Mission Impossible" and I would end up feeling humiliated and depressed! All the doubts started crowding in, and I prayed that I would receive answers and strength on Sunday when I went to my meetings.
Can I just tell you how wonderful Heavenly Father is? He answers prayers! Sunday morning was filled with wonderful messages, but the one I got loud and clear was to have faith. Bro. Pope spoke on it, siting story after story of faith and how it works. We talked about it in RS, and the comments from the sisters re-stated and supported the idea that without Faith, we simply cannot accomplish our goals. I thought of Nephi, up against "Laban and his ten thousand" and the brother of Jared faced with lighting the barges as they crossed the deep. The Lord has told us again and again, that we should ask for what we need and then BELIEVE that we will receive the answers we need. This doesn't mean I'll reach my goal by believing while I eat bon bons, but if I put forth the effort, the hard work, and the diligence, He will support me.
My favorite story was of the little girl who wanted to get a bike. Her father tells her to save her pennies and someday she will have enough. Later, he realizes that she has been diligently working and saving. He takes her looking for the perfect bike and when she finds it and sees the price, her eyes fill with tears. She knows she will never have enough. But her Dad loves her and has an interest in her happiness (I love that!) and so he says that if she will give him everything she has ($.61) and a hug and a kiss, he will make up the difference. I know this is how the Lord looks at us. He loves us and has an interest in our ultimate happines. If we will give Him out 61 cents, a hug and a kiss, He WILL make up where we lack. So this morning I made a deposit by getting on the treadmill, and I know He will come in where I am weak.

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Christene,
I just wanted to say what an inspiration you are. I even got back on my running schedule because of you. I admire you for putting yourself out there to recieve support from your friends. I want to sponsor your 40lbs. mark with a new shirt because girl you are going to need it when you hit this mark. Good Luck!!
Danielle

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

You go beautiful!!!

Perry Family said...

ok, I t
otally adore your blog, love the pink and purple!!! I love looking at everyone's blog...the creativity is endless! Good for you, it is hard to lose weight, and we always need the refocus day to day! You are awesome, you can totally do this. I will sponsor pound 45 with a new book, to keep your interest while walking on the treadmill! don't know which book yet, but I'm sure there is one you will want to read!
love,
stacy

Mark & Emily said...

Christene,

Today i took my two little ones on a 3+ mile walk. it felt great! you have inspired me. i am toying with the idea of doing what you are doing on this blog. thank you!
em

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

Hey I am going to sponsor 49 pounds with a girls night.

Mark & Emily said...

Hey Christene,
I saw this lady on the today show the other day who had lost 105 pounds. she wasn't the type to eat fast food, so she decided that for her dieting would just be about substitutions, not deprivation. so, she took her recipes and found healthier ways to make them. For example, she used ground turkey instead of fatty ground beef. lowfat cheese in place of regular cheese. things like that. one thing i have done in the past is used plain yogurt for half of the sour cream in recipes. you can even do this in things that call for mayo, like tuna or chicken salad. it just makes things a bit tangy-er.

other things i do: grind soft wheat flour and use in place of white flour in baked goods. go to wild oats and buy fructose to use on things in place of regular sugar. it isn't the best for baking, but works in some recipes. of course, use lowfat milk.

anyway, just some things to think about. i have tried enough "diets" to know that they do not work because you will gain the weight back unless you change your lifestyle and eating habits. i think it is better to try substituting, controlling your portions, and just making smarter choices.