Thursday, February 21, 2008

Spinning

Have you ever been to a spinning class? Maybe you've heard reports one way or the other, but I have to say I really like them. The sore buns and aching muscles, not so much, but the challenge and direction, oh yeah. The thing is, I have a hard time riding a stationary bike at the gym without totally giving myself an easy time. I just pedal along until I'm bored silly. But in this class, you have a great instructor teaching you as you pedal, challenging you, leading you through sprints and helping you stretch afterward. It's amazing! It's SO hard, but it's amazing as well. The first time, when you stand it's only for a short moment and it's tough because your legs aren't used to it. Then you get better, you can stand longer when asked to, you can pedal harder and faster and keep up with the pack. This time, my sole goal was to keep pedaling, stand at least once, and make it to the end. I did it! It felt amazing, like when I get up in the morning and do my walk on the treadmill even though I would rather stay in bed and doze. I love that feeling. Now the aching muscles and sore butt , that's another story.....

3 comments:

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

You go girl!!!

Danielle said...

You are awesome Christene!!

Brent said...

Those stationary bikes are for the birds. Boring, repetitive, and doesn't feel anything close to a real bike. Usually, the spin classes use much better "bikes".

Yup - sore butt is a part of it, unless you know the secret. Buy yourself a pair of cycling shorts. Yea, those spandex types that you see all of those "serious" cyclists wear. The key is, they have padding where it counts. You don't need to buy really expensive ones. But if you are going to be spinning often, then it's a worthwhile investment.

Also, use talc powder. Why you may ask? With enough sweat, uh, a rash starts to develop in areas you DON'T want them if you spin enough. Not fun.

You've kinda hit my area of expertise, since I spin every weekday morning. Any Qs? just ask me :]