Monday, February 25, 2008

Party Hardy!

Here's one of my common problems: I love party food. You know how people pull out their best recipes for parties; their favorite appetizers, their most scrumptious desserts, their most refreshing punches. I love it! I love making my favorites for parties I'm throwing and I love sampling other people's best work when I go to theirs. The problem, sometimes, I don't know when to say when. I can still recall throwing a Bridal Shower for a good friend and really thinking that I could eat all the leftover cake if given the chance. I mean, it was good, but puh-lease!
Therefore I am learning to rethink the reasons for going to parties. I think this habit started back in my less social days, where I used food as a shield of sorts, something to keep me from feeling different. But those days are long gone.
So, I was thinking today, as I reviewed my "social calendar" (sounds exciting doesn't it?) that I need to retool my outlook on the party scene. Honestly, there is always one coming up, or impromptu ones being tossed out of nowhere, because the fact is, we love being together. So what to do? Toss the healthy eating out the window and profoundly compromise my exercise efforts? No way! Stay home and become a hermit with only my Weight Watcher ice cream bars for company (BTW they are super yummy!). Nope, not going to happen.
Instead I plan to rethink my party mind-frame. I love being with these wonderful friends I have, and I want to make the most of my time with them. It's not really about the food, in the end, but in the companionship and sisterhood that I feel with those I love. I'm also going to work out consistently, eat when I should and look for the good choices wherever I go. After all, I'm in charge of what goes into my mouth!
So bring on those parties. I'm ready!

6 comments:

Chrissy said...

That is so true!!! I started Weight Watchers last week and that is exactly what our meeting was about. We are the ones who make the desision of what goes into our mouth!! You are doing so good! You are totally my inspiration!!!

Perry Family said...

You go girl! It's wonderful to find other reasons to be with good company other than the food. It's like the saying goes: "Do we eat to live, or live to eat?" Who doesn't like a yummy treat once in a while? It just comes down to a really good balance, of which I'm still working on! Thanks for your example.

Anonymous said...

You are a true "Supergirl"! It's amazing, coming up with this great idea, writing your blog to include all of us (thus motivating and supporting you and in return inspiring us!), eating smart when the going gets tough, and pushing through those workouts!
Thank you for including me in this amazing plan. I have been wanting to lose 20 lbs. since Baby #2. I was doing Weight Watchers over the summer and I had a walking partner in the early morning, but lost her in Nov. and it's been down hill since. I lost 10 lbs and put 6 back on. You have motivated me to get back in the game! I would like to sponser Pound #12 and treat you to Golden Spoon (only a few pts. on WW w/o the toppings), it tastes too good to be true.

Anonymous said...

Christene, You have just explained how my week went. Monday-great. Tuesday-dinner with Jusitn's boss, not so great, Wednesday-bookclub, not so great! Time to press the restart button!

Cyndi said...

Okay so I have learned a thing or two about the party scene as well. Here's the thing, nobody pays attention to what "you" are eating. So be picky and look at everything before you pick out what you are going to eat. Decide in your mind what you can have and then take small portions of what you do want. If everyone is having a good size portion and you don't want to feel left out, fill your plate with veggies and then for dessert ask Kevin to let you have a bite of his dessert. Then you get a taste and don't feel left out. If anyone does notice what you are taking or rather not taking just act like veggies are your most favorite thing in the world or act like you really could care less or just come right out and say, "I have been doing really great this week and I want to keep my streak going!

Andi said...

Good luck on your weight loss journey! It is hard work (I know, I need to lose 20 more pounds to be at a healthy weight)! Maybe your journey will help keep me motivated!

I posted the calorie info on my blog.