Wednesday, July 15, 2009

{ Coming Back }


Most people know my big sister came into town this weekend. During the time she was here, I got a couple good workouts. This was during her jaunt up to St G. or during the time she visited my parents. But over the weekend, I took a calculated workout vacation. For me, spending quality time with my sister is more important than working out. She lives across the country and our minutes are golden when we get to be together. I knew I would regret time spent running when I could be at home snuggling my new niece, absorbing her sweet serenity and discussing patterns, dolls and future plans with my Sis.
She left Monday afternoon, and this morning I realized: It's not the vacation that foils or supports your success, it's whether you come back. Many times, I've taken a "short break" from working out due to something like this: a legitimate need, an illness, a vacation....only to never return. I pull in the shutters and disappear into a platter of homemade chocolate chip cookies.
As I took to the track for my usual laps today, this thought resounded again and again. Our lives are like a river: growing, narrowing, ups and downs, rushes of progress and stagnant pools. Our job is to keep pushing past the boundaries set before us, to keep moving forward to our ultimate goals in life. There will be moments when working out and eating right just doesn't happen. But these should be twigs in the stream, not logs that dam us up for months to come.

It feels good to come back, to stretch your legs, to push yourself, to remember that every lap, every step reminds you of just who you are and how powerful you have become in realizing your goals. It reminds you that Heavenly support isn't just for spiritual weaknesses, but physical ones as well. It tells you that no matter what the reason, returning to goodness always feels good.
If you took a short break from your workout, or eating sensibly, don't stay gone. Pick up where you are and start forging ahead. Slow and steady works best for me. Try it. And welcome back!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

yeah Chris!!!! Way to get back up and going:)

Taralee said...

Nice work!!!! I am so proud of you for your hard work. Your right, sometimes we never get back to what we were so sure we were going to do. I just started WW on Tues. and I'm beyond excited to get this weight off. I KNOW I can do it (since I've done it before), but this time it will be a little more work..(I have about 10 more lbs than last time I started 2 babies ago). I love your idea to do the sponsoring, but I'm too chicken :) We need to talk soon and I want to pick your brain now that I'm ACTUALLY back on the WW train :) Be thinking of some of your wonderful food ideas! Snacks, dinners, quick grabs, favorites, any thing really!

0h and by the way, 18 lbs. is awesome! I can't wait!

EMILY said...

I came to read your blog today for some inspiration. I have 65 pounds to lose and I just don't know how I am going to do it. It seems impossible. really. I have little faith that my body will let go of this weight. But I love how you have just stuck with this over the past year and a half. I know it hasn't been easy for you, but you are making progress. you have a great attitude and i love it. so, thank you for the inspiration my dear!

Angie said...

I think you are wise to take vacations for important things.