Weight Watchers is a great program for weight loss. I am doing the meeting version where you go in for a meeting once a week.
The weekly meetings begin with you weighing in before hand. Your weight loss is recorded on a little folder where they track your progress. No one yells out your number or snickers when you gain. :) After your weigh in, there is a thirty minute meeting where the leader basically asks for positives and negatives: what has worked for people this week and what was a bummer. It's a good time to hear tips on what to do or avoid. Then the leader gives a quick lesson on a certain theme that gives you ideas and energy to do it for another week.
When you weigh in, you also get a record for jotting down your daily food intake. This has been so helpful. I always do better when I'm keeping track. You figure out how many points you should eat depending on your weight, height, activity level, etc. Each day, your goal is stay at this limit. You also have 35 bonus points per week that can be used a little at a time, or all at once. Point values are determined by a combination of fat, calories and fiber in the foods you eat.
My typical daily menu might look something like this one from a day or two ago:
Bowl of cereal (1 c. Rice Krispies, 1c. milk)
1/2 a lunchmeat sandwich piled with veggies
One point WW cake (yummy and satisfying)
Other 1/2 of sandwich, plus 1 1/2 c. strawberries
A bowl (or 1 serving) of Lasagna Soup with one slice french bread with butter spray.
What I love about this program is the freedom to substitute, to reign yourself in without someone else telling you it has to be done. I love regular butter on my toast, but it's 3 points and I would rather have those points for something else down the road. So I use the butter spray. It's a good alternative for me.
Also, instead of having toast and oatmeal some mornings, I just have the oatmeal, freeing up points for later on when I might need something more.
You can also add extra points through exercise and activity. These can be eaten or just left alone. That's a great plug for working in some activity.
Everyone I have talked to, who has really been diligent about this plan has seen positive results. It's awesome! The social reinforcement works better for me than sitting on a computer or doing it at home. Others will enjoy the bonus of the e-tools and want to do it online or in some sort of combination. All in all, it has been a great program for me thus far.
1 comment:
christene,
are you hungry? it seems like your food for the day you listed is so little! i know healthy food is more filling, but still. 1 c. rice krispies is nothing!
anyway, how do you determine the point value of a food? i know it is based on fiber,fat,and cals, but how do you do it specifically? is it time consuming?
Post a Comment