
I have a long list of excuses of why not to work out. Too tired. Kids underfoot. No time. Don't want to sweat. (seriously...I know it's lame). Forgot my tennis shoes. I'd rather write.
This is only the smallest collection. They get lamer and sadder as the list rolls out. Today I was spinning it long, sitting on my bed thinking about how I just wasn't in the mood to work out,and our treadmill has a built in incline that messes with my time and distance, and....you get the picture. But I've been working really hard this week, and I know I'm progressing. A recurring theme in my life has been to give up at the final hour, just before the real results are evident. I do it all the time when it comes to weight loss. I just lose it, make excuses, pull the covers over my head and whine later when I don't get the results I want.
Something happened today...I'm not cured by any means...but today I did it. I just got up, tied my shoes and ran for three miles despite the validity of my excuses.
It's moments like these that I feel so grateful for the Spirit that pushes us beyond our personal boundaries and helps us to see strength and ability that we overlook...on purpose. I see it as a kick in the teeth to the adversary who likes me to think I am incapable of doing hard things and likes to tell me so. Take that! I say. Because with every mile and every accomplishment, this weakness shrinks, his influence in this area diminishes and the scripture that says weak things can become strong rings more true. So lose the excuses....and don't trip over mine. I'm unloading.
3 comments:
You are very inspiring. Way to knock 'em in the teeth. Congrats on the 17 lb loss!! Incredible. Way to go, Christene!
YEAH!! Good for you!!! You do inspire me!!! Today I started "30 Day Shred"!!!
That reminds me of this quote:
"Any excuse for non-performance, no matter how valid, weakens character."
— Spencer W. Kimball
I need to remember that when I can finally start to work out! You go girl!
-Danielle
Post a Comment