
This week I attended a funeral that had a big effect on me. While driving there, I remember wondering what I would most regret if I left this life unexpectedly. Several things came to mind. That evening I went to the temple contemplating this weight issue and how it has held me down for so long. The stones and what they represent have been on my mind a lot. I asked the Lord to make me at peace with my weight or help me get it off.
While pondering, I had the distinct impression to "STOP." For a moment I was a little shocked, but as is common in the temple, the impressions continued and I realized the Lord was asking me to stop being so crazy about losing weight. Basically to stop punishing and hating myself. This rings true for me. I'm a naturally intense person. I go for things with intensity but can only sustain that kind of energy for a short period of time. That's why I have several favorite hobbies and I rotate between them. Losing weight has been a lesson in denial for me. Denying myself enjoyment, fun, food...many things, all in the effort to get to this goal.
In keeping with the revelation given, I am going to STOP. Now don't get too excited! Along with this impression came the five things I feel the Lord wants me to focus on. They are: Acceptance, Love, Enjoyment, Gratitude and Rejoicing. The idea was so relieving, I can't begin to tell you! How appropriate that two of the words have the root of JOY. Isn't this the reason for our lives here on earth? After giving myself permission to enjoy life and really begin living again, the world began to unfold as a series of opportunities. I'm going to start living as though I have already reached my goal. I asked myself, "What would my life look like if I was at my goal weight? What would I do?"
I'll be taking little steps, working on one thing at a time for several days until I get them down. When I feel I am strong enough, I can move on to the next item, making small but positive progress.
David went back to the simplicity of stones and slings. He knew he could accomplish his goal because he had conquered challenges in the past. Today I am going back to the things I know, goals set as a girl in YW and listening to promptings. I can't testify of their effectiveness in conquering THIS Goliath at this point, but I'm not waiting to live anymore. I realize more than ever, our days are numbered and I refuse to look at this life as a challenge to be endured. I prefer to enjoy the journey.
6 comments:
Christene! I totally needed to hear this today! I have been feeling so bad about myself lately and not wanting to go in public because of how I look! I, too, need to start living life, regardless of my weight. I totally believe that weight loss goals cannot be acheived (or at least sustained) through extreme efforts. I believe this because I have used extreme efforts many times to lose weight. That includs dangerous diet drugs, extremely low calorie diets (600/day) and wasting too many hours in the gym.
I know that it has to be some sort of lifestyle change that can be sustained for the rest of our lives.
Anyway, let's get together and chat this week. I could use a friend! call me!
Hey
Wow what an inspiration you are. You speak so eloquently. You are a great example of letting the spirit guide you. Thank you for grounding us all. I just thought I would throw in a little FYI. I have found this new work out program called 10 minute trainer. Just google it you will find it. You can do as little as 10 minutes a day or at the most for super accelerated results 30 minutes a day. I have done one of their other programs called P90X and have loved it and have gotten great results without being super strict on a diet. But it was an hour-hour and a half a day six days a week. I was diligent and stuck with it and got great results. They just came out with this new ten minute trainer that I think will fit me even better then P90X. It is easily done in your own home. The workouts are intense but there is always a modification you can do to make it a little easier until you build up your endurance and strength. I have grown to love exercising through this program. I just thought I would share it with you so you can look into. It comes with a diet plan but like I said I have never been super strict. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing about your new life experiences. Thank you for your words of wisdom that we all should live by. It is all about keeping an eternal perspective.
What can I say...Awesome!
How inspiring & true, Christene. I love that you shared this! We all have our Golaith's, mine being very similar to yours, & it's so refreshing to not only "hear" you share this experience, but also the fact that I get to enjoy a confirmation of the truth of what you're saying. It's as true for me as it is for you, it seems. I can't thank you enough for sharing this....I really needed it. (((Hugs)))
You are so awesome!!
Well said! You are one amazing girl, and such an inspiration!
Post a Comment